Wednesday, February 29, 2012
Mingled in the regional histories of many of the more extant eastern countries are references to the Misty Mountain Wars. This 42-year stretch of history is not only a bloody one for the Misty Isles but also a spur of change for the entire central coastal region of Khaora. It directly spawned one other country and was indirectly responsible for several more. It gave the impetus to the formation of the stone-toothed quays found in the cities and ruins of Aldoré; magikal forces released near the end of that struggle inadvertently formed the Uquiliu Venting and the a poor, foolish and misguided Amazon Priestess of Hekate let loose an evil in the world whose appetite is unquenched still. The wars were indeed a tumultuous time for the region and they ended only through the death of Duchess (and Amazon General) Quotara-la in the sacrificial trees high on Mist Finger Mountain (thus ending her claims to the Mist Wind Throne) and the fleeing of General Avelda (who founded a country of the same name) from the Misty Isles. With these two claimants slain or departed from the scene, soon-to-be Queen Lysippl consolidated the rest of the isles under her iron fist and ended the wars.
Thus, you can see this was a powerful event in Misty Isles history. While it would grow to large proportions and change the course of nation, those who started it had no idea this would occur. Like many other great events this war began as something trivial—so much so it might have swept into the ocean of the past without changing anything if it were not for the critical (though likely accidental) intervention of a few. An unlikely grouping: a Phraint, two Dwarves, an Elf, and a (very slim) Hobbitt saved a smuggler from stoning in Brēll. Their motives were not altruistic by any means, as the fool owed them money (and no small amount either).
Tuesday, February 28, 2012
Anyway, the run lasted a couple of hours and was recorded by me. The players were set in Arduin but in the nation of Malgoreem. I’d ruled they had past history and had run together during the excursion of the Mok from the Blood Dawn nexus two years ago. They had all survived that bloody day when the Mok overran a chunk of southern Malgoreem before they were banished back to whatever hell spawned them.
Moarx – Hobbitt Warrior
Koch – Half Hobbitt/Human Mercenary
Wesson – Hobbitt Priest of Saren
Kimbir – Half Hobbitt/Human Warrior
Glock – Hobbitt Mage
The five had been away for a time, each traveling their own path in the world before they returned home. They had agreed, on the stark and windy day that they had left, to return in two years time. They met up on the road and camped, swamping stories of their exploits before taking up the road again the next morning to go into the town of their birth. They had few ambitions: to see old haunts, maybe an old girlfriend or two and to visit Wesson’s sister Tessa and Moarx’s sister Erin.
Breezing into town, everyone greeted them friendly especially when they realized who they were. Once or two people looked at them nervously but the five wrote it off to fears of old quarrels. Moarx sister offered to take two of them into her home while Wesson’s agreed to have the other three.
The next day, more braced and hardened they attend the town meeting about the lottery. The meeting was in shambles from the beginning as they yell and curse the townspeople. Who roar back and warn them against acting. They had tried, they pleaded, not once but three times to kill the beast. Once when it showed, again three months afterward with a near dozen men hired from High Wall. They were strong, sturdy men who died like flies when it rained death down on them and gouged their hearts out. The Manticore demanded more tribute after that and the town paid with a living sacrifice per month. It lasted three months before, Prandial, the priest of Saren returned from his pilgrimage to the Sun Scorch Mountains. Hearing of the tale of horror, he marshaled his faith and confronted the beast. He never returned.
Disturbed but still determined, they move on. The Silver Crown woods is alight with thin tendrils of smoke and moving lights, making the silver bark of the trees and the mantle of leaves glimmer to live up to its name. They are not long in the wood before they run afoul a nest of Argo Caols. Moarx had discovered them and told the rest. His capacity to talk to and be liked by insects made it easy to see why he was an excellent scout. He gets a picture of how the three of them are lounging in the trims (ready to drop on prey below) and the five of them attack instead. They butcher them quickly, without much effort. Koch took down one with his ax in a mighty blow (surprise + an awesome damage roll), Glock froze on stiff and watched it shatter when it fell, while Wesson and Kimbir sliced the third simultaneously (snake sushi).
Wesson says he is to take his sister’s place. Seeing as how he just prayed and visibly was blessed by the gods, the townsfolk are encouraged to believe him. And to think it is the will of the gods. The townsfolk meet and agree, but only if they can lock up the other four in room when they pay tribute.
After some arguing, the others agree. The other four are locked up in a room while they truss and strip Wesson down to nothing but a cloth to protect his modesty. Someone stays on guard while the rest of them go get the remaining tribute.
Moarx is in full tilt but seems a mile away (he won’t show up for a few melee rounds). Koch gets another bite out of its wing with his ax and Kimbir slides towards his left, digging his spurs (he’s got fighting spurs on) in its belly while drawing and driving two daggers, one in each hand, in its ribs.
Monday, February 27, 2012
Sunday, February 26, 2012
Saturday, February 25, 2012
Friday, February 24, 2012
Thursday, February 23, 2012
Wednesday, February 22, 2012
Tuesday, February 21, 2012
Monday, February 20, 2012
Sunday, February 19, 2012
- Any living being exposed to these arcane winds is struck with an equivalent 200 strength arcane attack. If it overwhelms a being's MD, then they die! Those who die are (99% chance) immediately reincarnated (see Random Reincarnation Chart). Those that roll the 1% chance when dying are just gone and may not be raised by any means whatsoever. Those who survive (i.e. successful MRS roll), suffer permanently at the hands of extreme change.
- All Undead creatures exposed to these Winds are immediately discorporate, fragmented, and borne away on the winds, gone forevermore.
- Spirit seem to be the only beings in existence unaffected by these dreadful winds.
Saturday, February 18, 2012
Mind of Razors (2 point cost)
Your mind is like a pit of razors and anyone who transgresses it suffers for it. You inflict half your EGO in psychic damage on anyone who attacks your mind, consciousness, id, etc. Effectively, if it uses a Mind skill check against your PD, you damage it back.
Native Facility with Psychic Powers – You are naturally better at psychic powers and it is second nature for you. You start with a +5 bonus to your PSI power pool and to the amount of PSI you can move in a melee round. Additionally, each time you use an EPS to acquire Noetics, Channel, and Psychic secrets or to gain access to OP of mental powers, you add a +2 bonus to one of Noetics, Channel, Mind (choose a spell or school), power pool, or the amount you can move in a melee round. On the other hand, you have trouble in other areas, lowering your LR –4 (minimum of LR 1) and –2 CON.
Psi-Patterned Soul (2 point cost)
You are destined to follow the call of the psychic; its traditions and ways imprinted on your soul, regardless of your occupation.
- Add a +10 advancement bonus to the Noetics, Mind, Channel and Ceremony skills.
- Add a +20 bonus to PD.
- Select one of Noetics, Mind, Channel or Ceremony. You begin with 10 skill ranks and the knowledge of 1 secret (you must meet its prerequisites).
Friday, February 17, 2012
It looks like I did not define this well enough. The psychic can employ this secret against any number of people. However the effect is only temporary, lasting until the mental signature of that person changes. Normally this takes a few days (I.e. d6 or so days) but could be faster if the said person was subjected to intense emotion or trauma or longer if they live a placid life.
Face requires you to see the person in question and they must have REAS 1 or more for it to work.
You can combine it with brain lock.
Thursday, February 16, 2012
|Ad: 7||Move: 24||Fe: 53|
|Ref: 9||PER: 38||Di: 33|
|S: 10||Dodge: 10||Sh: 29|
|Sz: 8||CF: 25||P/V: 37|
|M: 11||COORD: 18||DEF: 46 (DR: 2)|
|C: 17||BODY: 29||MD: 44 (MR: 3)|
|W: 16||MA: 20||PD: 51 (PR: 12)|
|R: 9||LEAD: 24|
|E: 14||APT: 36||Quick Rank: 10|
|Eg: 13||HP: 48|
|Skills: Ac: 13, Ath: 38, Cl: 41, Co: 26, Gu: 8, Int: 16, Lo: 14, Mec: 11, Med: 7, Re: 32, Ri: 5, Uw: 42, Wi: 31|
|Secrets: Terrain Familiarity [local area], Improvised Weapon [Co]|
- Bandits come from many backgrounds and have skill in a profession or path, usually (90%) Warrior with 3d10 skill ranks in the profession/path skill and an equivalent spread of skill in Core skills and half in Favored skills for the path/profession. Additionally, Bandits have one secret for every 10 skill ranks (round up) in their profession/path. Bandits use Ability Advancement [Range: 1 – 20, Skill: 32, Secret: 1, Time: 5x2].
- Bandits steal for food, slaves, goods or due to a lack of an ethical and moral compass. Sometimes its both to one degree or another.
- Bandits met will be outfitted chaotically, with items or completely random quality. Bandits will only keep what they can travel fast in and rarely are seen in other than leather or studded leather if they wear armor at all.